- A Bite of Bitter Crab BLOG POST
Coastal Blue Crab Hopefully you've never bitten into a delicious hunk of snow crab meat and instantly spit it out because instead of crab you tasted... aspirin?! If you have, i ... ...
Mar 27 2013 - 1:37pm
- Humpback Whales in Antarctica: What Are the Whales Doing? BLOG POST
Humpback Whale in Antarctic Waters Humpback whales ( Megaptera novaengliae ) are the most abundant baleen whale in the nearshore waters around the Antarctic Peninsula. The ... ...
Feb 7 2013 - 12:01pm
- Reflections on the Successful Search for the Giant Squid BLOG POST
Giant Squid Caught Live On Screen I have been at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History since 1966, studying and reporting on all kinds of octopuses and squids ... ...
Jan 22 2013 - 6:59am
- Marine Parasites: Crazy…and Really Cool! BLOG POST
Parasitic Worms in a Fish Marine parasites may be small in size, but they can be present in very high numbers and put together can weigh even more than all the top predators ... ...
Dec 5 2012 - 4:05pm
- Scientists Call New Eel Species A Living Fossil BLOG POST
Video of the Palauan primitive cave eel (Protanguilla palau) Palauan primitive cave eel (Protanguilla palau), a 'living fossil' ... ...
Aug 17 2011 - 12:09pm
- Listening for Clues About Sonar’s Effects on Marine Mammals BLOG POST
Researchers Studying Killer Whales Many animals depend on their eyes to navigate, find food, locate mates, and for other important activities. But marine mammals often rely on sound ... ...
Jan 5 2011 - 10:55am
- The Spin on Sharks BLOG POST
Scalloped Hammerhead Shark Starting this Sunday, August 1st, the fins will be circling on a television near you. Sunday kicks off The Discovery Channel’s “Shark Week,” an annual TV ... ...
Jul 29 2010 - 5:13pm